Sunday, March 4, 2018

Exploring new drawing styles at the Battambang night market

After another four months trying to overcome the difficulties of drawing with the meager materials to my supply in Cambodia began to emerge new types of caricature more in line with local tastes.

I had focused my search on developing a technique that would facilitate to me illustrate travel books. I had been on my first trip to Asia in 2008 trying to find a versatile way of drawing that would describe the beauty of cultural contrasts people experience when they find themselves in remote places for the first time. However, my tendency to photorealism induced by my long period as a portraitist of "La Rambla" had kept me lost and confused for the last 10 years, until finally I felt caricature was giving me the key. Thanks to it, I began to notice that I could approaching people enough to go deeper into much more details of their culture than mere landscape or realistic drawing had allowed me until then.

No comments:

Post a Comment